Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Sense of Place





It was a crisp sort of day today. The sky was like a glass ceiling. Just above the tree tops was where its expansiveness ended. What a claustrophobic feeling when your eyes aren’t free to wonder into infinity. This kind of sky was new to me. For such a relatively cloudless day it felt so close and concrete, characteristics not typical of a vast and wispy slice of space. Looking up I felt like a piano had fallen on me, because my fast sweeping gaze was stopped abruptly and unexpectedly by this glass ceiling. Jarring. At first it made me feel like everything was cold and impersonal, and I was an uninvited guest, but that was just the wrong side of perspective. The interruption of blue vastness was just a way to encase everything to make it closer and uniquely tangible.


There were a myriad of roads to choose from, and I was not overwhelmed by the choices. Yet, I did want to explore each and every one of them. They trailed off to nowhere and somewhere at the same time, and introduced me to spaces devoid. It was there that one could really breathe in the earthy magic spells, nestled between the leaves and buried under layers of dirt. Fairies could have easily been dance amongst the mushrooms. Adults and Children alike can feel the electricity in the air, not unlike the charge that gladiators felt right before battle. 


Once I came back from being checked out for so long simply wondering through the unpopulated spaces of the Gardens at the Palace of Versailles I encountered people with an unrivaled fantastical outlook. It seemed that I was not the only one deeply impacted by the atmosphere, even though I assume most did not explore as intimately as I had. 


All morning I was walking without purpose throughout the grand hallways of the Palace, with no interest in what I was looking at. Then I caught a glimpse out the window of a place that sparked my interest without even knowing how wonderful and never-ending it truly was. The Gardens are nearly 2000 acres of daydreams, and my only wish was that I could have seen every microcosm within the macrocosms of this place in one visit that was much too short.


I wanted this day to last just long enough. I couldn't speed my way through the Palace fast enough. It broke my heart to leave. Just one more minute, okay. Please, just one more minute. Me begging much like a child at an amusement park. There was still so much to do, and so much to see, and so much more to photograph. I was so selfish I wanted all the magic to myself. I wanted to savor the oneness with my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment