Saturday, November 3, 2012

Out of all of my photographs, this is one of my favorites. It's magical, playful, and requires a child-like perspective. Not much in this picture is what it appears to be. This image challenges reality. The only thing concrete is the chain link fence. Everything else is shadow play: the flowers are crocheted out of yarn, and the giraffe is a tower crane. 



To date I feel this is the most representational photograph of myself. I have difficulty pinning myself down. 


Turning the camera back onto myself is something I've desperately wanted since discovering Francesca Woodman, but the results are always less then satisfying. It's like when you look in the mirror, and you don't recognize yourself. I wonder if Francesca ever had that problem. Did she ever feel like she wasn't photographing herself? 



I'm historically orientated. I prefer film to digital, and have an affinity to alternative processes. I like to think that in our inevitable soon-to-be post-apocalyptic world someone will be valued for how things were done in the not-too-distant-past. I take photographs and make handmade books. I'm also hung-up on my continuing investigation of death, dying, loss, grief, fear, regret, and most recently anger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment